Friday, March 22, 2013

FAB FRIDAY FEATURE: Levenia




I’ve always been known to have a long, healthy, head full of permed hair. I was anti-natural (lol). I would tease and say that some girls head be looking like brillo (the thing that you use to scrub dishes). In fact… I would hear girls saying “I’m going natural” and I would think to myself, “that ain’t for everybody”.

And then it happened; I moved to Tampa Florida, where perms cost $65, washes cost $35 and I was a broke college student hustling my way through. Forgetting that I was no longer in the beautiful Turks and Caicos where water from the tap is soft and drinkable, I decided to take care of my hair at home. #Epic fail. My hair was not use to the hard water and my hair quickly disappeared from back length to neck length.

Ahhhh!!! What to do? What to do? Did I mention that I am IN LOVE with LONG HAIR! I decided to ignore it and the hair just kept on dropping. Finally; I put my foot down and said girl you got to do something. So I decided to do the unthinkable!!! Oh no, I’m gonna be a brillo head! L I transitioned for a total of 9 months and I was loving what I was seeing, my hair was BEAUTIFUL, not the straightest, not the curliest, but it was my OWN hair and it was beautiful.

But the two textures of natural and permed hair were whooping my butt! What to do? What to do? Someone suggested TEXTURIZING (Dunt, dunt, dunnnn). So I found myself at a Dominican salon sitting in the chair sweating like a hooker in church, asking ONE question over and over and getting different responses from everybody, “How long will it take to grow out?”  “Oh 5 month” another “No no, 1 month” another “No worry, ju’ll be fine”. Well I came out of that chair and my hair was BONE STRAIGHT! All of my 9 month new growth was history!!! I cried and ran to my hairapist, Ida’s child herself and mourned over my lost progress. She told me to be encouraged and to continue on.

Well I did, I let my hair grow out for a mere 4 months and decided to grow a pair! BIG CHOP DATE: September 9th, 2012. OMG, I’m worst than a brillo chick! I’m bald headed!!! I’m a chicken head, Ahh!!!!!! Sent my hairapist (Ida’s child) a pic and she said “Girl you rocking that TWA”. I felt a little encouraged to continue on but I braided for a month out of insecurity.

 It has now been 6 months since I made the BEST decision in my life, my hair is already back at shoulder length when stretched (I have major shrinkage). I am not just the owner of natural hair, but I am NATURALLY pretty, NATURALLY beautiful and NATURALLY ME. <3




5 comments:

  1. I am encouraged! I decided last month to discontinue perming my hair. For some reason your pics would not load; wish I could see how the process went. Right now I'm afraid of doing the BIG CHOP and I'm dealing with the two different hair textures. I'm considering twisting or braiding my hair to avoid me fatiguing it constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you viewing this on your phone or a computer? Is anyone else having this problem?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am able to view them now! Holly perhaps refresh your browser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fully understand much of our guidance others. Considering searching a Low Cost Child Care Center? Much of our day care center focus provides cost effective and even responsible handle the children. Much of our child care services expertise belongs to the most beneficial day care center focus on Eugene Oregon. We're a state certified Child Care Center which in turn moreover Low Cost Child Care found in Springfield, Oregon. Taken because of Janelle Lee with a long time relating to Child Care Network management come upon. The Nursery school plus Pre-School programs selection child good care and prime quality tutorial functions. The costs can be cost-effective in addition to team members superb.

    ReplyDelete