Friday, February 15, 2013

FAB FRIDAY FEATURE: Monica Brown

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.3&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784666200&sads=893gnYMDTcbL3vx8CtjQzQJ-MSY

Hello, my name is Monica and I have been natural since August 2008. At that time, I was OBSESSED with length. I wanted long hair and decided to stop relaxing my hair. Now, I am more concerned about the health of my hair. I think if you take care of your hair, length and thickness are sure to follow. I transitioned by wearing sew ins for a year. Sew ins were a life saver! After I would take each sew in down, I would trim the relaxer off little by little. I did not start taking care of my hair until March 2011. I started searching on the internet for natural hair products and found tons of information about natural hair. I felt like I had died and gone to hair heaven! I saw beautiful women with beautiful hair. I was so intrigued! I ran up on CurlyNikki's website and fell in love with her hair. I read as much as possible about hair on her website. I love that website along with Black Girl With Long Hair! I will admit, I am such a product junkie. I love trying new hair products. One of the first haircare lines I used was Shea Moisture. I love that line and it's not super expensive. I have almost every product from that line and I do not see myself ever departing from that line. It's just that good. I do experiment with other lines, such as Aubrey Organics--love their conditioners and the herbal scent. I LOVE Aussie Moist conditioner because it is very thick and has awesome slip! My fingers just glide through my hair when I use this conditioner. It makes me smile big! The list goes on but those are some of my favorite lines. 
 
For me, the most important thing about being natural is having a regimen. It helps me stay on track with my hair. Before I wash my hair, I love to pre-poo with conditioner and oils. I finger detangle which has really saved my strands. Sometimes I will use my Ouidad Double Detangler comb but not too often. I will then wash or co-wash my hair once a week or every two weeks. Co-washing has really helped because I am just washing my hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. Washing with conditioner gives me a moisture boost that my hair really needs. I try to shampoo once a month or so. I deep condition my hair after every wash, usually with one of Shea Moisture's deep treatment masques and I will add raw honey and olive oil. My hair gets a nice treat! I will wash it out and add a leave in like Kinky Curly Knot Today or a regular conditioner as long as it does not have harsh ingredients. After that, it's time to add a nice moisturizer like Donna Marie Super Buttercreme or Shea Moisture's hair milk/and or Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I will use one or two moisturizers, depending on what my hair needs. I rotate all of my hair products so I have a few products to choose from. I almost have my own little store. I always twist my hair after I've moisturized it. Twist outs are simple for me and do not take much time at all. When my hair is cutting up, I will simply put it in a puff and be on my way.
 
 I love being natural because of all of the versatility. You can braid it, twist, and do cute up-dos. There are endless possibilities when it comes natural hair. One thing that I hate about being natural would be getting fairy knots on the ends of my hair. They are so annoying but i will add more moisturizer on them. 
 
For transitioners, it will take time to figure out what your hair likes and dislikes. I know that it can get frustrating, but natural hair is so worth it! I love the natural texture of my hair that I never knew I had, crazy right? I did not know my hair was curly. Relaxers never did a thing for me. I had dry, thin hair but my hair thrived when I left the relaxers alone. I am so happy to be relaxer free. Embrace your natural curls, coils, and kinks! If you treat your hair well, your hair will definitely love you back.
 
Thank you for asking me to be featured on your blog! I'm tickled pink! -Monica

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784611914&sads=Ll26nVAt0Z0lCFX4FAGh8fYsqiQ&sadssc=1 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784707652&sads=-YQlnuuYopCiZgr23R-jqptxm0E 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.7&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784733982&sads=_y6XiK10wwrBkKkcxADZT9G9kHU 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.6&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784753544&sads=AJrxGSQJFJ06QR3BE_SFPjm84wA 

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d929f3e58b&view=att&th=13a1cfe2d7c79553&attid=0.4&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_1pCCKuWAxhOJoyVdlkC-K&sadet=1360784785414&sads=gcOdba0eK6I_PlobPMXS74oDPqI

No comments:

Post a Comment